During a time of social unrest, revolution, and experimentation, there was Woodstock 1969. Some of the greatest minds of the counterculture gathered here and shaped the future of music and American culture. The musicians, fans, and activists of the time were united by the same vision of peace within the human race. Along with these ideals came some timeless quotes from Woodstock 1969 icons and the common members of the subculture – hippies.
Here is a list of the top ten insightful quotes which gives readers perspective as to what the hot topic items were and exactly what this niche in society thought about them. These quotes illustrate what the 1960s were all about.
10. “By and large, the past two generations have made such a colossal mess of the world that they have to step down and let us take over.” -Pete Townshend
9. “We were very fortunate to have a little time in history when LSD was still legal and were able to experiment with drugs just like we were doing with music.” -Jerry Garcia
8. “We-ve got this gift of love, but love is like a precious plant. You can-t just accept it and leave it in the cupboard or just think it-s going to get on by itself. You-ve got to keep on watering it. You-ve got to really look after it and nurture it. ” -John Lennon
7. “Sex, drugs, and insanity have always worked for me, but I wouldn’t recommend them for everyone.” -Hunter S. Thompson
6. “When you-ve seen beyond yourself, then you may find, peace of mind is waiting there.” -George Harrison
5. “I’m the one who-s gonna die when it-s time for me to die, so let me live my life the way I want.” –Jimi Hendrix
4. “Our program is cultural revolution through a total assault on culture, which makes use of every tool, every energy and every media we can get our collective hands on… our culture, our art, our music, our books, our posters, our clothing, the way our hair grows long, the way we smoke dope and fuck and eat and sleep-it-s all one message-the message is freedom.” –John Sinclair (1969)
3. “Hippy is an establishment label for a profound, invisible, underground, evolutionary process. For every visible hippy, barefoot, beflowered, beaded, there are a thousand invisible members of the turned-on underground. Persons whose lives are tuned in to their inner vision, who are dropping out of the TV comedy of American Life.” -Timothy Leary
2. “There is absolutely no greater high than challenging the power structure as a nobody, giving it your all, and winning!” -Abbie Hoffman
1. “All we are saying is give peace a chance.” -John Lennon